This link downloads the most recent version available at the Mozilla Add-ons website. This version is updated less frequently, tested more extensively, and fully translated in several languages.
You will get new versions as soon as they are available.
This link downloads the add-on from this website, where new versions are published as soon as they are available. If you download from this link, you will get new features sooner, although at first they will be available only in English.
Mozilla Archive Format, at the time of each release, is tested and verified with the most recent browser versions available in the following release channels:
- Firefox Beta
- Firefox Release
- SeaMonkey Beta
- SeaMonkey Release
Testing is done under Windows XP, but the add-on is expected to work on all the platforms supported by the browser. Note that the add-on is not expected to be compatible with the Nightly channel, though partial compatibility might be implemented for the Aurora channel.
File format compatibility
MAFF files are standard ZIP files that can be extracted and read with any browser and operating system. For an overview of browser support for the MHTML format, see the summary on Wikipedia.
Mozilla Archive Format is also written to be compatible with the largest number of other browser add-ons, with few known exceptions for older or unmaintained add-ons. In addition, Mozilla Archive Format is routinely tested together with other compatible extensions on the latest version of Firefox. If you find out a case of incompatibility, you can report it through the feedback page.
License and copyright
The Mozilla Archive Format extension for Firefox has been created by Christopher Ottley and is now actively developed by Paolo Amadini. Mozilla Archive Format also includes code from the Save Complete extension, created by Stephen Augenstein. The latest version of the add-on is available under a MPL 1.1+, GPL 2.0+, LGPL 2.1+ disjunctive tri-license. Previous versions of the add-on and individual source files may be available under different Open Source licenses. See the source code for more information.
MAF 3.0.2 has the following user-visible improvements over MAF 2.0.6:
- Improved compactness when saving complete web pages:
- Stylesheet rules that don't apply to any element in the current page are now removed from the saved file. This can greatly increase compactness when content is modified by scripts or other extensions before saving.
- The option to take an exact snapshot of the page is now selected by default, to take advantage of various improvements in the save method, even if it was deselected in a previous version of the add-on. The browser's standard save system and the integrated Save Complete component can still be selected from the options dialog and the internal configuration settings respectively.
- The notification bar with information about the original save date and location can now be disabled from the options.
- Now file associations on Windows are created correctly when using the add-on in third-party browsers based on Firefox or SeaMonkey.
- Removed elements:
- The option to display an archive information icon in the status bar is not available anymore, together with the option to display the icon in the location bar at all times. The icon can only be displayed in the location bar when an archived page is opened.
- The creation of MHTML files that are fully compatible with other browsers cannot be explicitly disabled anymore. All the generated MHTML files are now fully compatible, as long as the option to take an exact snapshot of the page is selected.
MAF 3.0.2 has the following known issues:
- In order to open MHTML files when the IE Tab extension is installed, the filter /^file:\/\/\/.*\.(mht|mhtml)$/ must be disabled from the IE Tab options.
- The Download Sort extension has a known incompatibility with MAF. The conflict cannot be resolved without proper modifications to both extensions, and Download Sort is not actively maintained at this time.
- The integrated Save Complete extension cannot always save pages with dynamic contents correctly.
- When saving multiple tabs in an archive, the save operation fails if the tabs are closed before the operation is completed.
- When saving a page in an archive fails, retrying the download from the Downloads window does not achieve the expected result.
- Opening very long documents contained inside MHTML files may cause the browser to stop responding temporarily.
Previous versions and source code
You can download all the previous versions of MAF from the project page. The changelog for all the old versions is also available. Source code for the released versions can be found in the XPI installation files, and can be read using any ZIP extractor. Source code for the development versions of MAF can be accessed from the source code page.